Thursday, November 9, 2017

The Apocalypse But, Not Really. Maybe It Was Just The Beginning

A year later, I find myself thinking back to last November 8. Between the election and our house fire, I can say that Nov. 8, 2016 was a bad day. It wasn't the worst day we'll have in this home. We've been fortunate. One day, we'll meet our match and that will be much more difficult

While rattled by the events, nothing but good has come out of that day (except for the presidential stuff). I have a new job that I love, I'm able to engage more in my life, my family, and I'm happier as I've taken more control about how I feel and think. I suppose I learn things the hard way. The only thing left is for me to get back in to exercising. I've taken a "sabbatical" and I realize that physical health (while I've gone rather overboard in the past) has to be incorporated. It's hard to find balance but, I'm okay with that.

I have a job that I look forward to every day. While I may be tired, I look forward to seeing almost 800 of my new kids as a school nurse. I value them, I treat them as I would treat my own kids. I have a lot to learn but, I've got the caring thing covered. My coworkers work tirelessly, are engaging, and dedicated - aside from being welcoming and flexible with me.

The boys are growing and I'm thankful that they hug me, joke with me, and can have solid conversations with me. Michael is my champion and I am his - reliable as always and I hope that I have relieved some of his load with the recent adjustments in my life. There's still work to be done, right?



I have nothing much to say other than this November, I am more thankful than I have ever been - and maybe all thanks to that spark that lit up our house last year.

Before the fire, my eldest son woke up one day and said that he had some strange little bug bites on his body. Small, round, red...a bit itchy but, no really big deal. Then woof! The house caught on fire. We were out of our house for a bit of time, trying to enjoy life at the Greensprings Resorts. There's nothing that feels resort-y when you've left your house due to a fire. Nothing. The day we moved back in to the house and felt as though we might begin to have some peace, we discovered bed bugs in my son's bed. It was 5pm on a Friday. Bed bugs survived the damn fire. Are you kidding me? No. I'm not. They would survive atomic bombs, zombies, the apocalypse. I asked friends for exterminators and found one. I called him. Haven Exterminators. How appropriate, "haven", a place of refuge. I cried and cried as I spoke to my new best friend. "We have bbbbbbbed bugs. We we we we just moved back in after a fffffffire buh buh buh buh!" He was so compassionate and offered to come that evening. I didn't actually want to ruin his weekend so we agreed to see him on Monday but, I did want to cry and cry and have some one hug me and say, "There, there...all will be well." He did that over the phone. In any case, he took great care of us.

The lesson here? I have no idea except that if you think smoke and fire will kill bed bugs, you're wrong.

I'm laughing today as I sit here alone and ready to go to work. I hope you smile. I wish nothing but acceptance, warm hugs, an open heart and mind, free Starbucks beverages for you and your friend between 2 and 5 pm, and love.







No comments:

Post a Comment